Apricot tarts for a rainy day

Days now resemble the kind of days I was used to for a long time, sun rises around 6.3am and sets by about 7 pm, and this rings a vague bell of normalcy in my head. This will not last long, it happens during a short window of time before it gets too cold and too rainy in fall. I am an early riser, I love it when the world sleeps around me when I gleefully make my first cup of tea, and splatters it in the microwave only because I was 20 seconds too late to get it out. Now when I look through the window at 6am in the morning, the world suddenly turns into a flat familiar landscape, no matter where you are you are in the same place!


apricots4



What else I see when I look out of my window on a rainy Saturday morning? The color purple, that too lots of it, thanks to perennial verbena plants blooming in this glum weather as if they are on a mission. To make the most of everything, I suddenly decide to bring some of those flowers in, and bake an open face tart to fill our kitchen with warmth and color.


apricots


A tip on storing left over puff pastry sheets

I usually cut the leftover puff pastry sheets into squares or rounds, arrange it on a baking sheet lined with parchment and freeze for about 1 hour, then transfer it to a Ziploc bag to store it in the freezer. This helps me to pull out just the right amount to use at a time. No heartbreaks over over indulgence you see! To thaw, arrange the rounds on a baking sheet; keep on the kitchen counter for 10 minutes, before using.


apricots3

Decided to send the first photo for the October-DMBLGiT event hosted by My Diverse Kitchen. Thank you for hosting, Aparna.

Open face apricot tarts

Puff pastry base, cut into 2-3 inch rounds or squares 12
Apricots (thinly sliced) 4
Sugar 3/4 cup
Crushed toasted nuts ¼ cup

Arrange the puff pastry cutouts on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle with ¼ cup of sugar to reach all of it evenly. Arrange the apricot slices in an overlapping fashion ( 6-8 nos/base). Dust with the remaining amount of sugar on top. Bake at 400 degree C for 12-15 minutes till the base is puffed up and begins to brown around the edges.

6 comments:

Shabs.. said...

Lovely recipe....absolutely stunning pics!I have never seen those flowers here...looks real nice....we just have some wild flowers and weeds this season....growing wild everywhere...

RBN said...

മനുഷ്യനെ കൊതിപ്പിച്ചു കൊല്ലും...

Anjali Koli said...

Drool!!! We will not see peaches like those here in India but Hapoos on puff pastry will be pure bliss I guess.

delphcotecuisine said...

such a sunny and yummy recipe
you have a beautiful space here and lovely pictures.
Delphine

archana said...

Shabs,
Thank you dear,our backyard is still going strong for Verbena flowers, but rest of the show is almost over.

Ramesh annan
I will take it as a compliment, thank you.

Anjali
That defanitely sounds like a very good idea. It will be heavenly, any thing with Hapoos on it should be ! Thank you

Delphine
Thank you for your kinds words,you have a lovely place too. Loved the photos.

Lori said...

I am sorry- forgive me but those peaches look like little butts.

I am totally drooling over your lovely blog/photos and recipes. I am quite sure I am going to try one of your recipes real soon!

Slider

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...