Homemade Cherry Liqueur



Making fruit liqueurs at home is unbelievably easy, yet the flavor, richness and aroma of the homemade versions are quite comparable to their store-bought equivalents. Occasionally I use these fruit liqueurs in baking as flavoring agents, in sugar syrups for moistening cakes, and rarely in frostings. I usually make cherry and berry liqueurs while the fruits are still in season, making enough liqueur to flavor my confections year around. The following recipe is for the homemade cherry liquor I used in the black forest cake recipe. This is a basic protocol for making fruit liqueurs in general, feel free to experiment with berries, orange peels, apricot and other fruits of your choice. Scale down the recipe according to your requirement, maintaining the same proportion between fruit, alcohol and sugar.

Recipe

1 lb (450 g) cherries
3 cups vodka* (or 1 1/2 cup pure grain alcohol + 1 1/2 cup water).
1 1/2 cup sugar

Wash well and pit cherries, transfer to a wide- mouth bottle, pour alcohol over, close tightly and keep for 2 days. Open the jar, stir the contents, and repeat the process twice more within a week. Keep it undisturbed for 4 weeks. Open, stir again. Keep for 8 more weeks. Open the jar. Remove the cherries and strain the liqueur and transfer to a narrow- neck bottle. Add sugar, stir well and keep undisturbed for 1-2 months. Filter through fine cheese clothe and pour into fresh bottles. Store tightly closed. Liqueur keeps well for many months, and the flavors mellow over time.
Notes
Use clean and dry glass bottles for preparation and storage.
For imparting a nutty flavor to the liqueur crush some cherry seeds and add at the beginning step.
* I used vodka in this recipe

20 comments:

starry said...

Thanks for sharing this.dont know if I can do this,but it is good to know.do you know how to make some good wine from grapes.?

Shammi said...

Brilliant! I didnt know it was this easy to make liqueurs! :)

Krithika said...

Didn't know the process was this easy. Your steps are so easy to follow. Thanks for sharing this

Sudha said...

It sounds interesting archana..thanks for sharing..

Anonymous said...

I use liquers in my candies,always used the store bought ones though. I might try this recipe with raspberries.Thankyou for an impressively simple recipe.

Meeta K. Wolff said...

That easy huh? Yikes it is a great supplement to your kirchtorte post!
Archana, hope you'll be joing my Blogger Postcards from the World game.

Surya Hith said...

Thanks for sharing!I have some wine recipes.But this seems an easy method.

Gattina Cheung said...

Hi Archanat,
I was just talking to my husband about going to make our own liqueurs yestersday, today I saw yours!!! I've bookmarked your post, thank you for the info and inspiration! Your cherry liquor looks great!

Tee said...

Hey, thanx for stopping by the blog and leaving a sweet comment. I love your blog. I'm here almost always drooling over your sweet treats.

Keep it up cos you know Life begins with Dessert :)

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work. BTW your photos are outstanding, you even made a simple vada look like a five star dish!!!!

RP said...

That is a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Lovely! I once made cranberry liqueur, following a Martha Stewart recipe. It was much like yours and delicious. But, I think this cherry recipe would be even better.

archana said...

StarryN,
I have never made wine on my own, but i have a recipe for the regular(red,can't really classify) grape wine people make back in Kerala. Let me know if you would like to look at it. Thank you

Shammi,krithika,Sudha,Laura
Thank you folks. I have made raspberry liquer before, it works well as a flavoring

Meeta,
Thank you. Sounds like a good idea. I would like to join

Surya
Thank you. Could you please share your wine recipes with us?

Gattina,
Wow, that's ESP !!! Gattina, you will be amazed to see the results. I am trying to make apricot liquer this year, after seeing your lil cakes. Thank you.

Tamanna,
Hearty welcome, please do come back. Can't agree more!!!

Anony
Thank you for your kind words. I do consider vada as a five star dish.

RP
Thanks a bunch friend.

Sher
Welcome to Spicyana, i visit your blog often, love your photos. Cranberry liquer must be really very colorful.

Anonymous said...

athu sheri! appo kallu kachodam thudangi alle! license undo? ;-)

I thot liquor and alcohol are the same!

archana said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
archana said...

LG,
Entamme !!!! "Liquor" is more of a generic term for distilled spirits,so what you thought is right. But fruit "liquers" are a specific class in the group,which are infused with intense fruit flavor. People drink it as well, but not us !!!! While all liquers are liquors, not all liquors are liquers !! ( Just kidding )

12:47 PM

Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! » » »

Anonymous said...

What a great site »

Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. asian house plans Meridia and xenical business card insert holiday card nick bollettieri tennis academey outlaw tennis cheats on xbox Facial hair wand remover Headphone wireless Propecia hair loss propecia hairlosstreatments.biz Pda sync open source Western styled wedding dresses Rent a minivan in dallas with dvd teens who love hardcore sex http://www.how-to-get-a-big-butt.info/Malelactationeroticstory.html Indiana lawyer bar exam

Unknown said...

Disappointed that no one has actually tried the recipe and posted results. I plan to try it and if it works out either way I'll leave a post here. Thankyou. Jim

Slider

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...