Rasa Vada for JFI-Dal

Thank you Sailu for hosting this months event and selecting a most appropriate theme.



My entry for this month’s JFI-Dal, is Rasa Vada, crispy fried chana dal ( split chick peas) patties soaked in spicy hot rasam, a recipe from my mother. One Sunday evening many years ago, when she announced that we are going to have Rasa Vadas for tea, my heart sunk thinking about the proverbial mixing of fire and water. We know what prevails!!!!! I was not really appreciative of the process of making a crunchy vada soggy by dipping in a very watery rasam. . Much to my dismay, she made a big pot of rasam, fried some vadas, and threw everything into the rasam pot, and then served it piping hot with chopped cilantro on top. One bite into it, I realized that kids do lack the worldly wisdom coming from experience. Quite contrary to my perception of this idea, Rasa Vada turned out good, so good that I still remember the taste, and when I was tagged for the --10 things you miss of your mother’s cooking-meme, I never hesitated for a moment to include this one in the list.
Simple ( no dal) Rasam

Cumin 1 ½ tsp
Coriander seeds 3/4 tsp
Red chilli 1
Garlic 3 pods crushed
Black peppercorns 3/4 tsp
Tomatoes – 2 ( each cut into 8 pieces)
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Tamarind ( in the size of one small lime)
Curry leaves 5-10nos
Asafoetida – 1 pinch
Jaggery – ¼ tsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 1 ½ tsp
Chopped cilantro 1 tsp
Dry grind Cumin, coriander seeds, black pepper, and chili. Soak tamarind in 1 ½ cups of water. Heat oil in a deep cooking vessel, splutter mustard seeds, add crushed garlic, curry leaves, ground spices, jaggery and Asafoetida. Sauté for a minute, add chopped tomato and stir well to mix. Stir in the tamarind water; add 2 more cups of water. Boil for 8-10 more minutes. Add chopped cilantro. Remove from fire. Keep it warm.
Parippu vada

2 cups chana dal (use toor dal if you prefer)

Finely Chopped ginger – 2 tbsp

Finely chopped Onions – 1 cup

Green chilly rounds - 1 tbsp

Curry leaves - 5-10 nos

Soak dal in water for 3-4 hrs, add salt and grind to a coarse paste. Add ginger, onions, chilies and curry leaves, keep for 10 minutes for the flavors to mix, form nice round patties using hand. Deep fry till golden brown, fry an extra minute taking care not to burn the vadas. Drain on paper towels.

Assembling rasa vadas

Arrange vadas on a baking dish and pour hot rasam on top. Let it soak for 10 minutes, serve garnished with chopped cilantro.

36 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mothers know the best, aren't they?:)

It's been a while since I prepared vadas. Your rasa vadas are so tempting me. Mouth watering entry for this event, Archana. Can't wait to try them out this weekend.:)

Sudha said...

Nice post archana, dad used to love rasa vada..brings back memories...Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe

Krithika said...

Rasa vada ? wow ! They look mouth-watering. My husband loves this.

Sumitha said...

Archana what gorgeous looking vadas!!!Its a beautiful picture!

lost in thoughts said...

A very appetising pic. I am on the lookout for rasam recipes, having discovered sampled it quite recently. Thanks for sharing this simple & delicious sounding rasam.

Priya said...

I would have to rite a similar story Archana, My dad just loves the vadas this was and so does my mom, but I always fought with her to leave some alone just for me...but now I know that they taste the best with rasam...!! This time during my visit she had some left crisp but I grabbed for the rasa vada...and my parents had a wonderful time pulling my leg ;-)

Ashwini said...

Oooh I keep seeing this in the menu in our fave southie restaurant but always hesitated to order it bcoz of my preference for crispy vadas. Now I am not...your description is tempting

Gattina Cheung said...

The rasam looks very delicious!
Oh Archanat, your photo is gorgeous! Love the reflection on the rasam and that blurry blue (my favorite color) background!!! Real pretty!

Mumbai Guy said...

What do I have to do to get these yummy entries? Just had mouthful and I am already hungry. Not fair.

Unknown said...

Looks yummy.

starry said...

Rasa vada looks yummy.thanks for sharing.

RP said...

Yum! I feel like to eat one of those.

Anonymous said...

Hi Archana,

Your photos are great as always, but I can't even imagine making one of your cakes! This is something I could aspire to -- looks so appetizing :)

indianadoc said...

I dint know abt rasa vada...n u'r snaps are amazing....u r indeed a multidimensional professional !!

Anonymous said...

Superb entry. Its very new to me. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

njangale kothippikkukayano Archane??

Tanuja said...

Hi Archana,

Ur rasa wadas are so tempting cant wait,if at all I can crab some right away from ur snap vuuuuuu yummy:)

RP said...

അര്‍ച്ചനക്കുട്ടീ എന്തു പറയുന്നു? പുതിയ കേക്കൊന്നും ഇല്ലേ?
ഇനിയും മനസ്സിലായില്ലെങ്കില്‍, ഞാന്‍ മലയാളം ടൈപ്പ് ചെയ്യാന്‍ പഠിച്ചു എന്നു പവറു കാട്ടാന്‍ വന്നതാ...:)

Anupama said...

Archana,
The photo is just too good. this dish is totally new to me but I am desperate to try it out. The name Rasa Vada is scrumptious. I am sure it tastes just as good.

Anonymous said...

Archana, Great pics,I am really craving for RasaVadas now,perhaps gotta try asap to stop me from diving in to my PC .....:)

bilbo said...

hey,
just went through your archives. the cakes look amazingly lovely and equally complicated to make. I wish I could do that. your blog is fun to browse.

Anonymous said...

Hello Archana,
I have been visiting this blog for a while now and I have to say this is the best food blog I have seen.
Great job.Keep it up.
Waiting for your receipe.

KA said...

Great presentation Archana!

Anonymous said...

Archana,
So inviting, your picture of rasa vada. I am inspired to try this recipe soon.
Lovely entry and good recipe.
Thank you for participating in JFI-Dal event and see you at the round up.

Rajesh &Shankari said...

rasa vadas - long time since I had them. Everytime I visit your blog , I am amazed at your creativity and then the longing to eat....drool drool

Anonymous said...

The 'no dal' rasam is a clever idea.Nice presentation archana.

Anonymous said...

ഹാജര്‍ ! ഹാജര്‍! ഇവിടെ ഉണ്ടെ. മനുഷ്യനെ ഒന്ന് ഉഴപ്പാനും സമ്മതിക്കൂല്ലെ? :-) വെടിക്കെട്ടു ടി.വി യില്‍ കണ്ടതിന്റെ ക്ഷീണം ആയിരുന്നു. :)

archana said...

Indira,
They are, for sure !!! Thank you for your kind words Indira.

Sudha,Krithika, Sumi,Spicehut
Thank you folks, i am glad that you liked it.

Priya,
How very true, that's probabaly what i felt when my mother made this for the first time !!!

Ashwini
Thank you

Gattina
Thank you so much !!!!

Mumbai Guy
Welcome to Spicyana, do visit again. Thank you for your kind words.

Pushpa, Starry N,RP,Shynee, Linda, shilpa, Tanuja
Thank you so much for your kind words.

Shoma & vidhu
Ingottu ponnoolu kootukare.....

RP
Mhhhh, entha ee RP-yude oru pathras !!!! Njan adutha pravasyam undakkunna cakeinte pakuthi RP thinnolu, malayalam okke ezuthan padicha midukkiyalle.... Nokkikkoo, njanumorikkal Rp-yeppole.......

Anupama,Lera, Bilbo, Anony, KA
Thanks a bunch folks !!!!

Sailu
Thank you for these kind words, can't wait to read the JFI round up. It was all fun participating in this event, thank you.

Shankari
Thank You

ArSu
Welcome to spicyana, thank you!!!

LG
Ahaa, eppolallae samadhanam ayathu, pinneyum valla snorkelingnum purappettu poyo ennu vicharichu. Njan ithiri uzhappiyalum bakki areyum uzhappan njan sammathikkilla, sathyam....sathyam...sathyam....

RP said...

കേക്കിന്റെ പകുതി തിന്നാനോ? അര്‍ച്ചന ഉണ്ടാക്കുന്ന കേക്കുകള്‍ മുറിക്കാനോ തിന്നാനോ എന്റെ കണ്‍മുന്‍പില്‍ വെച്ച് ഞാന്‍ ആരെയും സമ്മതിക്കില്ല. എന്തൊരു ഭംഗിയാ...അതു മുറിക്കാനോ? എനിക്കൊരെണ്ണം കിട്ടിയാല്‍ അതു പ്രിസര്‍വ് ചെയ്തു ജീവിതകാലം മുഴുവന്‍ ഒരു നിധി പോലെ ഞാന്‍ സൂക്ഷിക്കും.

Vineela said...

Hi Archana,
Iam back from my lasvegas trip .
I like your vada ,they are so crispy and yummy.
i thought i commented about this.
Nice entry to jfi,Archana
Vineela

Pavani said...

Your rasa vada look soooo good.. I remember having them in a restaurant, but never made them at home. Will definitely try them. Thanks for the post.

G said...

well I love this lentil event bc I am finding such gems. I know nothing about indian cooking but love lentils. I am adding this recipe to ones to try. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Hey Archana,

Your pick for the JFI contest(Rasa Vadas)is indeed superb! I have sampled this dish before. The fiery rasam and the crispy vadas make a deadly combo!

That's an interesting blog you've created. You appear to be genuinely nostalgic about your mom's delicacies. I really liked the section where u discuss the ten things you miss most about your mom's cooking. Age old, time tested recipes are being increasingly replaced by modern methods of convenience cooking, which lack the charm and appeal of our traditional cuisine.
Meenakshi at PRITYA

Vidhya said...

i just had to read it and i knew i'll make it this weekend.

Anonymous said...

Very nice site! » »

kitchenrooster said...

Hi Archana,

I tried u'r simple(no dal ) rasam.

really yummy!!

the photos u publish in u'r blog are really good..
that tempt me a lot to prepare the items in your blog as soon as i can..

Nayana

Slider

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...